It has been too long since I updated the blog! I am going in tomorrow for my 28 week Dr. appointment. This appointment includes a test for gestational diabetes. More blood being drawn... how much fun!
I have developed symptoms pointing towards an annoying pregnancy problem called PUPPP or PUPPS (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy). It's pretty much a rash that starts on the stomach and then spreads.
About one week ago I woke up literally clawing at my stomach. The itching was so intense that I had scratched myself to the point of bleeding while I was sleeping. I assumed it was just itchy because of the stretched out skin on my tummy. I slathered my stomach with moisturizer and then put an ice pack on my stomach to ease the itching. This itching continued, but not as severely. On Saturday I began to care for two new, and very large slobbery, dogs. My arms began to itch and slightly breakout thus I contributed this breakout to being allergic to the doggy slobber; however, on Monday I started to itch on the inside of my upper arms and that was it. I consulted the Internet and all signs point to this. I called my Dr. and she said that she can diagnose whatever the problem is at my appointment tomorrow, but that it sounds like PUPPS.
PUPPS is totally harmless to the baby, but the itching can be maddening. Generally topical and oral steroids are prescribed to help treat the rashes and PUPPS will go away usually in 1-2 weeks after the baby is born. It only affects 1% of pregnant women and 70% of those cases happen with women carrying boys, so I really won the pregnancy freak lottery on this one.
::sigh:: Cross your fingers for me on this one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave us a comment